Accessory Drive Tensioner: Volvo 3.0/3.2L SI6 engine 2007-2009
- Always install the tensioner and belt as per vehicle manufacturer’s guidelines.
- Install a memory saver in vehicle and then disconnect the negative battery terminal. This will save radio station presets as well as computer settings.
- Remove plastic engine covers, air filter box and air inlet tubes to gain access to the belt and tensioner area.
- Take note of the under hood belt routing diagram. If missing, draw a simple sketch.
- Release the serpentine belt tension using a 19mm open end wrench to rotate the tensioner arm in the clockwise (down) direction. Fig 1
- Remove serpentine belt from one or more pulleys. Note: Never cut a belt off while under tension.
- Remove the A/C compressor and power steering pump if belt is to be replaced. Fig 2
- Remove the tensioner mounting bolt from the bracket behind the tensioner. Fig 3. Remove tensioner from engine and discard.Note: Do not discard the tensioner mounting bolt. It will need to be reused.
- Before installing the new tensioner, ensure that the mounting surface is clean and free of debris.
- Install the new tensioner onto the engine and tighten the tensioner mounting bolt to 18 Ftlbs/24 Nm.
- Place new serpentine belt around each pulley location.
- Reinstall the A/C compressor and the power steering pump, if removed in step 7.
- Slip the belt over all of the pulleys except the upper idler.
- Now rotate the tensioner in the clockwise (down) direction and slip a 3mm installation pin into the tensioner hole Fig 1.
- Now slip the belt under the upper idler pulley.
- While holding the tensioner in clockwise direction, remove the locking pin. Slowly allow tensioner to move in the counter clockwise (up) direction until the belt is tensioned. Note: Check and ensure that all belt ribs are properly seated in all the pulley grooves.
- Reinstall all plastic engine covers, air filter box and air inlet tubes.
- Reconnect the battery and remove memory saver.
- Check that the belt travel area is clear and then start engine to check serpentine belt operation.
- Stop engine and again check that all of the belt ribs are in the pulley grooves.
DO NOT DISASSEMBLE THE TENSIONER! Always allow engine to cool down prior to performing any repair work.For Safety, always disconnect negative battery terminal and wear appropriate safety equipment before performing any work under the hood. When disconnecting negative battery terminal do not allow wrench to contact positive terminal.
REMOVE ALL TOOLS FROM THE ENGINE COMPARTMENT BEFORE RUNNING ENGINE.
REMEMBER: ALWAYS USE CAUTION WHEN DISCONNECTING THE NEGATIVE BATTERY TERMIAL TO ENSURE YOUR WRENCH DOES NOT CONTACT THE POSITIVE BATTERY TERMINAL.